Monday, July 8, 2013

We got TA (Travel Approval) - and are heading to China soon!

I just read through my last post, way over a month ago.  I had to laugh when I saw the book reports comments, and my procrastinator comments.  Yep, that has not changed, as we STILL have not done the book reports.  Though we have both read the 3 books, now just need to document our thoughts on it.  

But yes, the big news is that we got TA on Friday,  July 5th!  Here is an update of how the paperwork trail wrapped up...


As a quick reference here is the Timeline Overview from LOA to Travel:
LOA - April 29th
1-800 Provisional Approval - May 20th
NVC Notification - May 28th
Article 5 - June 18th                                    
Travel Approval (TA) - July 5th                              
Gotcha Day - July 29th                                            
Consulate Appointment (CA)  - August 6th 
Fly home - August 8th                        

We got the call on Friday, and were completely shocked.  The TA's have been taking about 4 weeks, per our agency, so we were really hoping and praying to get TA around July 12th.  The big wrench in our timing is that the Consulate office in Guangzhou, is closing from July 13 - July 25th.   So if we didn't get TA before it closed, it was another delay.  So when the agency called, I really was just not expecting it.

So what does TA mean?  It means china has finished all the paperwork needed, and given the green light for you to come and pick up your child.   The one piece we didn't know until today was what Consulate Appointment date would we get.  That would determine when we could have Gotcha Day, and when we fly out etc.  We were hoping for a Gotcha Day of July 22nd, but instead it got pushed a week to July 29th.  Still, we are ecstatic.  We know the day we will finally meet our daughter, and we can really get excited now.  Oh, and we better finish those book reports!

We've gotten many things crossed off our list, but still have a multiple pager going on.  So in reality, it is probably okay that we have an extra week to prepare.  Of course, we would jump on a plane tomorrow if we could, we're ready enough!

This is really hard for me to write today.  I have so many thoughts and emotions swirling around in me right now, it's hard to organize them.  I think after getting TA, we honestly finally feel like this is going to happen.  Up until now, it was still very abstract, and a little uncertain.  We are working with a travel agency to book our flights, and hopefully tomorrow, our international flights will be "locked in", as James likes to say lately.  This weekend was a whirlwind; it's funny how you wait for what feels like forever, and you should be 100% organized and ready, but it still feels so chaotic.  

I went into full on social media and "reach out to strangers" mode on Sunday.  There is such a huge and helpful network of adoptive families online in different groups and blogs - but I honestly haven't been looking at that much information out there.  Partially because there is SO much, that it is just overwhelming, and I never know where to start.  Plus, it can suck you in for hours and hours, and I don't really have hours and hours to spare.   But I had been connected with a family in Oregon, who adopted from Cora's orphanage last year, and another couple of families from the Bengbu (cora's orphanage again) yahoo group.  

I had a really nice conversation with the Mom in Oregon, that really helped calm me down.  After reading these books, James and I have really gotten pretty nervous about all the possible things that could go wrong with the process.  I also talked to a Mom here, in Minnetonka, who brought home her 7 yr old last year.  Again, very reassuring, and lots of good information.  And of course always our go to friends/neighbors/cohorts - who just recently brought their little girl home, and talked us into this whole shenanigan in the first place!  Anyway, it really is amazing how easy the internet has made this support happen - I really don't know what people did 20 yrs ago?  Actually, it was probably just less complicated, and better in many ways.  But I digress... 

But the most exciting part, was I got to email back and forth, and read the amazing blog of a family who is in China right now, and just adopted Cora's BEST FRIEND!!  She and Cora have been bed mates for seemingly the last few years, and I guess are best buds.   They got to meet Cora, and gave me a great report.  They said she is very smiley and outgoing, and seemed very happy overall.  It was great to read more about the orphanage, and get some nitty gritty details on how big Cora is, what size clothes she will likely wear, and even get to see an awesome video of them all.  But again, the words smiling and happy and outgoing were just music to our ears.  She is over there, watching her best friend walk away with her new parents, which has to be so so sad for her.  But I really think they are telling her, "your mama and baba are coming soon!".   Her friend, by the way, is doing really great so far, 1 week into her new family life (according to their blog).  Really just amazing - the whole thing.  This family lives in California, and seem wonderful.  Hopefully we can stay in touch.  

We also have met another family from Chicago, who are adopting another classmate of Cora's..  Again, awesome family, and it's just so cool to have connected with them.   They are being kind enough to bring a gift to Cora for us - a story book that James and Sophie and I read, and recorded (hallmark thinks of it all!)  My chinese friend at work recorded an intro for Cora, explaining the book, and that we will see her soon.  So I can't  wait for her to get the book, too!

I am going to post a few of the pics that Chad & Natasha shared, when they went to the orphanage to pick up their daughter, Violet.  And then tomorrow I will post our travel schedule, once we have it finalized.  Oh - james and sophie update:  James is still doing awesome, and was SO SO happy yesterday  about all of this.  It was adorable, and reminded me - yes, holy crap, stop stressing and take a break to BE HAPPY!!   Sophie is struggling, but I think we may be rounding a corner, as of tonight.  We spent a few hours, watching a couple of documentaries on China.  One was of "Wild China" - stories about the countryside and animals and landscapes, etc.  It is so beautiful there, and we all enjoyed that one.  And the 2nd was about China's lost little girls - the whole issue of the one child rule, and how it's impacted the demographic. Also many stories and videos of american families picking up their baby girls.  I could tell Sophie was really affected by it all.  She didn't say too much, but asked some pointed questions, and was getting emotional.  So we are just trying not to push her.  She is a good kid with a big heart.  I know there is room for a little sister in there.

Grandma Rita comes tomorrow, to spend a week with us.  I will write more soon.  And thanks for all the well wishes and prayers.  Keep 'em coming!  :)

Michelle

Cora has the gold sandals on!



My absolute favorite picture yet.  She's got my dimples, as James said!!  This is Violet.

No comments:

Post a Comment